This is more of a thought experiment.
I don’t like the old style of sales and marketing, where folks are pushed, tricked and spammed into buying things. Instead, I like the good kind of marketing/selling, where you help folks so much until they want to pay you. No arm twisting, only helping.
So what are some marketing experiments I can do?
- Write an article (or series) showing how to do something difficult, and offer a paid version at the end of the article.
- Create a series of videos about how to implement something hard, with an offer for a paid version.
- Create a paid version but have a free tier, or a time-limited featureset.
- Create a landing page and post it in 10 places: Twitter, Reddit, ProductHunt, IndieHackers, Facebook.
- Put out very targeted ads on Twitter, LinkedIn or FB.
- Show how to do something that is difficult with other tools, but is easy with yours.
The formula should be easy. Find something that takes a lot of time (time is money), and make it take no time at all. Then find the people (audience) spending time doing it the hard way. If the price of the offering is 10x less that what their time costs, it should be a no-brainer.